As part of our continuing work to make our website accessible to all, we are pleased to announce that our website is now speech-enabled with free to download software. BrowseAloud makes websites accessible to those who require online reading support, which is 20% of the UK population. It works by reading web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice. The user simply hovers their mouse pointer over the text to hear it read aloud.
BrowseAloud features and options are accessed from an easy to use, floating toolbar. You can position this toolbar anywhere on your screen or hide from view, as you prefer.
What will BrowseAloud do for me?
- Reads web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice (includes websites, intranets, extranets, html, accessible Flash, alt tags)
- Reads secure web pages
- Reads PDF and Word documents in their original format
- Highlights each word as it is spoken to show you where you are on the page
- Magnifies text to your chosen font size and font style
- Translates word-for-word between English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Looks up accurate dictionary definitions
- Converts text to MP3
- Masks information on the screen to help you focus on a particular area
BrowseAloud can have various 'voices' installed, including Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, Italian, German, French and Dutch - see the Browsealoud Voices page for more information.
Once the software is installed, a circular icon in the system tray is present when the program is running.
If a web site is BrowseAloud enabled, the icon in your system tray has a yellow tick and your mouse pointer enlarges, changes colour to yellow and has a small blue circle next to it.
For more information please visit www.browsealoud.com