Skip navigation.
Print this page | Text size: Larger / Smaller

Home Improvements

Link to list of local tradesmenIn this section you will find organisations that can help when looking to renovate your home. For information on local trademen please click on the picture >>

For detailed information regarding Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grants, Mid Sussex Home Insulation Grants, Mid Sussex Minor Works Grants and Mid Sussex Home Renovation Loans please visit, email or telephone 01444 477292.

Community Service
If you are unable to, or can’t afford to, do the practical tasks around the home, such as gardening, outside decorating and basic structural work please contact Social Services on 01444 446100 who will assess individual cases and refer you to the Community Service.

Furnihelp receive and offer donations of furniture and deliver to homes in the Mid Sussex area. They are based in Horsted Keynes, near Haywards Heath. People who require furniture will need to be referred to FurniHelp by a care group. FurniHelp's prime care group referrers are: West Sussex Social Services, Downlands Housing Association, Mid Sussex Primary Care Trust, Sussex Oakleaf Housing Association, West Sussex Health and Social Care NHS Trust and the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead. Website:

Home Renovation Schemes
Means tested grants and loans for improving and/or renovating your home are available from Mid Sussex District Council.  For further information visit, telephone 01444 477292 or email   

The Community Equipment Service
Equipment to help disabled or frail people stay in their homes is available from West Sussex County Council Social Services.  To find out more click on the following link to visit the West Sussex Council Council website. Alternatively you can contact the Community Equipment Service Help Desk by emailing or by telephoning 0845 127 2933.

Smoke Alarms
To obtain a free smoke alarm and home fire safety check contact the local Fire & Rescue Service by telephoning 0800 32 86 487 or click on the following link to visit the West Sussex County Council website.