Skip navigation.
Print this page | Text size: Larger / Smaller

Guidance for organising a street party

Bunting image

Applying for a Temporary Road Closure Order
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1972, Section 180 and the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, Section 21, Mid Sussex District Council may make orders for roads to be temporarily closed to traffic at times of public processions, acts of worship, specialist street markets or any other cases where the streets are likely to be obstructed.

Temporary Road Closure Order Application Form – application forms can be completed online on the Mid Sussex District Council website.  Alternatively, download the form and post it to Mid Sussex District Council, Oaklands, Oaklands Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1SS.

Maps should be included with the application to indicate where the road will be closed, the diversion route, and where the diversion and advance warning signage will be sited.

Applications received from event organisers will be acknowledged on the day of receipt and passed to the Police, Highway authorities and the relevant Town or Parish Council for their observations and requirements in respect of the closure.  The Police and Highways authorities will usually include their requirements for barriers, marshals, diversionary traffic routes and signage.  Applicants are asked to allow at least six weeks for these consultations to take place.

Should any of the affected parties object, it is the responsibility of the applicant to resolve and mitigate the objector’s concerns.  If the objection cannot be resolved the Council may not be able to approve the application.

An Order is prepared and signed by the Head of Leisure & Sustainability and issued to the organisers as permission to close the road for the specific period requested, and copies circulated to Police, Highway authority and Town or Parish Council.

The Council undertakes to notify all interested parties such as the bus companies, public utilities, emergency services etc, and the organisers are obliged to inform local residents and businesses of their intention to close the road and to erect barriers and signs.

All closures require the placement of temporary route diversion signs on the day of the event, located well ahead of the closure to warn oncoming traffi. Advance warning signs of the road closure should be erected for a minimum of 1 week in accordance with the requirements of the County Surveyor, who must be contacted in advance of the closure to ensure adequate signing and/or diversions are agreed. Approved signage must be used to ensure the road closure order applies.

Public Liability Insurance

The Public Liability Insurance required by West Sussex County Council for holding a street party  is £5 million.


For enqueries regarding Temporary Road Closure Order applications contact Mid Sussex District Council, telephone 01444 477305, email

For enquiries to West Sussex County Council  regarding Road Closure Orders in Burgess Hill contact the Highways and Transport Department, Southern Area Office, Clapham, Worthing, BN13 3UR, telephone 01243 642105, email

Other points to consider

The organiser of the event is responsible for removing and disposing of refuse from the event. 

Refuse / Recycling Collection
If the intended road closure is on the same day as your waste collection, please notify the Refuse & Recycling team at Mid Sussex District Council on 01444 477440, email

Road Closure Signs / Parking Cones
The Area Highway Department can provide Road Closure Signs and Parking Cones free of charge to residents holding a street party. Please telephone 01243 642105.

Useful Contact Details:
West Sussex County Council Highways Dept, Events Officer, Southern Area Office, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 8UR, telephone 01243 642105, email

Sussex Police – Events Officer, Road Policing Unit, Haywards Heath Police Station, Bolnore Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 4BA, telephone 101, website

For further information visit and