This Council is committed to continuous environmental improvement and will adopt a set of policies that reflect its concern for the quality of the local and global environment.
The Council will:
• Raise awareness of environmental issues amongst its staff, residents and workforce of the town to encourage a greater responsibility towards the environment.
• Aim to reduce its own energy consumption and promote energy conservation in Burgess Hill.
• Purchase goods and services from environmentally accredited sources.
• Encourage facilities and schemes that reuse, recycle or minimise waste both within the Council’s operations and within the town generally.
• Use environmentally “safe” methods for grounds maintenance and avoid the use of environmentally harmful pesticides.
• Promote the use of composting and oppose the use of peat based products from non-sustainable sources.
• Encourage the community to keep the town litter, dog excrement and graffiti free.
• Involve the community in protecting and enhancing open spaces, trees, waters and hedgerows by encouraging the development of local nature conservation strategies and residents groups to support them.
• Promote cycling, walking and the use of public transport.
• Monitor the Council’s performance in accordance with the Environmental Charter by an annual audit.